Organizational Matters

The duration and amount of time required for further training vary widely. They can range from a two-hour training course in your own company to a multi-year training course outside the company. Internal training courses are often adapted to everyday work and are close to the workplace. As a rule, you should plan a greater organizational effort for external training courses, as you will have to travel frequently and stay overnight. When planning the time, it is important to consider whether the training takes place as a block course (i.e. concentrated in a short time) or over a longer period of time. Both forms have their advantages and disadvantages. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which type is best for you and your employer. It is also important to ask in advance How flexible the advanced training is: You can easily skip individual hours and there are alternative dates for exams or other important dates with compulsory attendance. In addition, many courses are available as e-learning and you can work on at least part of the learning content yourself at home.

Ask your employer!

You should definitely include your employer in all planning. Because travel, the time required for the further training itself, exam dates and costs for any accommodation during the further training phase should be coordinated closely with your supervisor, if possible, while also keeping an eye on your personal workload. In addition, it will help you consider what type of learner you are.

Tip: Draw up a detailed schedule for long-term training courses that also takes your family and work commitments into account. In this way you can better assess whether you will have enough time for your further training in the long term.

Costs and fundings

You have chosen an offer. Now nothing stands in the way of your registration. You should only clarify which costs will be incurred and whether these can be covered or subsidized. Here, too, there are again differences between internal and external training courses. In-house training courses are often subsidized by the employer or, in some cases, even completely taken over. If this is not the case, employees have the option of receiving a training bonus or of applying for so-called training leave and thus having at least part of the costs reimbursed. On the following pages but the following information will show you will find all information about the different concepts:

Educational bonus: The “Federal Educational Bonus Program” has been offering workers with lower incomes a financial subsidy for individual, job-related further training since December 2008. You can choose between the premium voucher and the savings voucher. Both vouchers can also be combined with one another. Further information can be found on the homepage of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.

Educational leave: You may also be able to apply for so-called educational leave for your further education. This concept, in which you can be legally exempted for a maximum of five days a year, is now used in most federal states. Further information on the subject of educational leave can be found on the website of the Conference of Ministers of Education. Here you will find an overview of free regional advisory services.

Aufstiegs-BAföG: The Aufstiegs-BAföG can be granted for a wide variety of advanced training courses. This includes, for example, advanced training to become a qualified specialist, qualified nurse, programmer, or IT specialist. There is no age limit for funding. Course and examination fees, material costs, and childcare costs are subsidized. Here you will find further information and an online funding calculator.

Upgrading scholarship: With an advancing scholarship, professional experience can be expanded to include a university degree. We support working people of all ages who have at least two years of professional experience. You can find more information here.

There are also some funding programs across the country. Further information can be found on the website of the Federal agency for work, under the search term “funding” and in the funding database of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi).

Tip: Find out at an early stage whether your training will be subsidized or the costs will be borne by your company.


Now it is almost there and you can register for the advanced training course of your choice. Here, too, there are a few important things to consider. What are the registration formalities? Should the documents be sent in by post or email or is there an online contact form? Do you have to submit any proof of performance, such as language skills or educational qualifications, when you register? If so, in a simple copy or in an officially certified form?  In principle, the following applies to all important certificates and documents: Never submit your documents in the original. It is possible that these will be lost in the course of the registration process.

If you are not sure which documents to submit, simply ask the responsible provider. In any case, you should inform yourself beforehand about possible submission deadlines. Just as when registering for the advanced training course, you may also have to adhere to a deadline to apply for the financial grant.

Tip: You can now also register with many providers by email or using a digital contact form.

Scroll To Top

My Cart


No products in the cart.

Shopping Now