Visa for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications

Have the recognition of your Professional qualification applied for and the recognition body in Germany has determined that you lack qualifications for full recognition? In this case, you can attend qualification programs in Germany in order to acquire the theoretical and / or practical skills you are missing. These are, for example, courses in a company, specialist training courses, preparatory courses or job-related German courses. To participate in such a program, you need one residence permit for the purpose of recognizing foreign professional qualifications ( Section 16d AufenthG ).

You can find out whether you need a visa to enter Germany in the Who needs a visa?

What are the requirements for the issuing of a visa for
the recognition of foreign professional qualifications?

  • In one Recognition notice the competent recognition body in Germany has determined that you still lack theoretical and / or practical skills in order to receive full recognition of your qualification.

  • You have successfully registered for a corresponding qualification measure. If this is a predominantly practical course in a company, this company must present in a training plan which concrete measures are to be used to remedy the deficits identified by the certification body. In addition, the training plan should also state what salary the company will pay you during the practical course. In this case the Federal agency for work (BA) agree to the qualification measure.

  • As a rule, you must have a command of German at level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages ​​(GER).

  • You can prove that your livelihood is secure for the duration of your stay.

If you intend to work in a non-regulated profession, you also have another option. You can also compensate for the deficits you have identified by working as a specialist in your desired occupation ( Section 16d subs. 3 AufenthG ). The following additional requirements apply for this:

There is a specific job offer.

In a notification of recognition, the competent recognition body determined that you largely lack practical skills in order to gain full recognition.

A training plan that shows how the main differences are to be balanced out.

Your future employer must guarantee in an employment contract that he will enable professional recognition during your stay in Germany.

Further information on the recognition process for foreign qualifications can be found in the Recognition section.

Do you meet the requirements mentioned? Then find out more about the visa and immigration process

What prospects does the visa offer for the
recognition of foreign professional qualifications?

After entering the country, you will be issued with a residence permit for the purpose of recognizing your foreign professional qualification or for carrying out post-qualification measures, usually for up to 18 months. In individual cases, it can be extended for a maximum of six months if, for example, you have to repeat an examination or the issuing of the certificate is delayed.

If you want to work in addition to the qualification measure, this is possible: You may pursue a secondary job that is independent of the qualification measure for up to ten hours a week. If the activity is related to the professional field for which you are aiming for a recognized professional qualification and if there is a specific job offer for later employment, you can pursue this without any time limit. In this case, the Federal Employment Agency (BA) must agree to the employment.

Options after successful completion of the training measure

Have you successfully completed your training course and received full recognition? Then you can stay in Germany for another year in order to find a suitable job that matches your recognized professional qualification. This requires a residence permit to look for a job ( Section 20 Paragraph 3 No. 4 AufenthG ), which you can obtain from your competent authority without having to leave the country foreigners Authority apply for. During this time you are allowed to do any job.

Have you already found a suitable subsequent job, study or apprenticeship position? Then you can apply for a residence permit at the responsible immigration authority in Germany and stay without leaving the country. The change in the following residence permit) is possible:

A Residence permit to
complete vocational training

blue card EU

Residence permit to study

Scroll To Top

My Cart


No products in the cart.

Shopping Now