Social insurance


If you return to Germany after a more extended stay abroad, you as a qualified specialist have a good chance of gaining a foothold here again. If you have been posted abroad as a seconded person, your company will undoubtedly be at your side with a relocation agency and take care of the essential matters for you. If, on the other hand, you organize your return on your own, there are a few things you should think about: Whether you want to apply for a new application in Germany, look up the current social security rates or want to get an overview of the German tax system, see our section “JobsProvides you with valuable tips on this. You can find information on the topics of “Bring your family”, “School”, “Kindergarten” or “Finding accommodation” in our “Living in Germany” section and in our “Studies & Training” section. Advice on open questions, placement support in the run-up to your return, as well as our individual returnees information package is available here.

Social Insurance

If you are in employment in Germany that is subject to social security contributions, your employer is obliged to register you with the statutory social security system (unemployment, pension, health and care insurance, as well as accident insurance). When you start your new job, this should be done automatically by your company’s HR department. The only requirement is that you and your family have registered with a health insurance company in Germany. Here, you can find further information on the social security systems within the EU, the EEA and Switzerland.

The social security contributions paid is noted on your first payslip. This lets you quickly check that your employer pays your contributions to the relevant insurance companies.


Since 2009, every person in Germany has been obliged to be insured with a health insurance company – regardless of whether it is a statutory or private insurance company. So remember to register yourself and your family with a health insurance company after returning to Germany. Whether you can be privately or legally insured depends on how you had health insurance in Germany before you emigrated, how long you were abroad and what work you do in Germany. If you are returning from an EU, EEA or Switzerland country, you should have the E 104 form issued by your insurance company beforehand. You can use this form to certify the periods for which you have been insured in the respective health insurance system in the country. So be sure

A tip: As a rule, the health insurance company you were insured for before you emigrated is responsible for you. Inquire with your old health insurer about how you can guarantee yourself again.

Pension insurance

You may take your pension insurance entitlements with you from abroad. However, this only applies to each country in the EU, the EEA and Switzerland in which you have worked for at least one year. To do this, you must provide evidence of your insurance periods using form PD U1. Here, you will find an address directory with the addresses of foreign offices for the exhibition of the PD U1. In individual cases, you can get advice from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung.

A tip: It is best to collect all certificates and other assessments from certifying your working hours.

Scroll To Top

My Cart


No products in the cart.

Shopping Now