Foreign university degrees

If you have a foreign university degree and want to work in a regulated profession (e.g. doctor or lawyer) in Germany, you need to have your foreign university degree recognized. You will find detailed information on this in our sections “ Who needs recognition ” and “ Recognition procedure ”.
You do not need recognition to work if you want to work in an academic, non-regulated profession, such as a computer scientist, mathematician, or economist. If you want to immigrate to Germany from a non-EU country to work and need a visa for Germany such as the Blue Card, you must prove that your foreign university degree is comparable to a German university degree. You have the following options for this proof:

Positive results in the anabin database

The Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) operates the anabin database, which provides information on the evaluation of foreign educational qualifications and universities. The database is currently available in German.

Individual evaluation of certificates

The certificate assessment is an official document that describes your foreign university qualifications and specifies the level of the German educational qualification to which your foreign qualification is comparable. The individual assessment of certificates can be requested from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) in Bonn. You must request an individual certificate assessment if your university is listed with an “H +” in the anabin database, but your degree is not listed.
The individual assessment of certificates can be helpful. It has advantages

when applying for a job, when changing jobs or when negotiating salaries. With the certificate evaluation in German, employers can better classify your foreign university degree. The certificate evaluation can also be used to apply for a visa.
Information on the assessment process, including a list of required documents and costs, can be found here. For further questions about the individual assessment, please contact the ZAB (e-mail: zabservice (at) kmk (dot) org).

Please note that the processing time is three months. Provided that you have submitted all the necessary documents. If you decide to have an individual certificate assessment in order to receive an EU Blue Card, the processing time will take two weeks. In this case, please enclose a copy of your employment contract.

Scroll To Top

My Cart


No products in the cart.

Shopping Now