Who Needs Recognition

Who needs recognition?

If you have completed vocational
training or a degree abroad, you may
need your qualification to be recognized
so that you can work in the relevant
profession in Germany. That depends on your job and
your country of origin.

Regulated professions require recognition

You are only allowed to work in regulated professions in Germany if you have a very specific qualification. This applies e.g. B. in many professions in the areas of health, legal advice, teaching in state schools and engineering. There are also regulations for certain master craftsmen who run a business. If you want to work in one of these regulated professions, you always need the recognition of your foreign one – regardless of your country of origin Professional qualification In regulated professions, the recognition is usually carried out as part of the procedure for the granting of the Professional license decided.

You can find out whether your profession is regulated in the “ Recognition Finder ” on the “Recognition in Germany” portal.

Unregulated professions may require recognition

Most professions in Germany are not regulated. These are z. B. the dual training occupations and many professions with a university degree. In order to be allowed to work in Germany as a business economist, IT specialist or baker, for example, you do not need to have your foreign professional qualification recognized . For citizens of third countries, the recognition of the foreign professional qualification or the comparability of the university degree is usually a prerequisite for the issuance of a visa. Third countries are states outside the EU, EEA and Switzerland.

For university degrees that do not lead to a regulated profession, such as biologist, physicist or linguist, there is no recognition procedure as there is for regulated professions or dual training occupations. People from one Third country those with such a university degree must prove that their foreign university degrees are recognized as comparable in Germany in order to be granted the residence title. The anabin database provides information to the Central Office for Foreign Education. You will find detailed information in our ” Foreign university degrees ” section .

Scroll To Top

My Cart


No products in the cart.

Shopping Now