Take pension entitlements with you

You have worked in Germany for some time, now you want to return to your former home and take your pension entitlements with you? In this case the following applies:

In principle, statutory pension insurance pensions are also paid abroad. In certain individual cases, however, there may be restrictions. In any case, you should inform yourself in advance of the Deutsche Rentenversicherung.

Move to a state of European Union (EU), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway (EEA) or Switzerland , the pension insurance entitlements acquired in Germany are retained. When you reach retirement age, every state in which you have worked pays a pension if the requirements there are met. So if you have worked in two countries, for example, you will generally receive pension payments from two countries. The amount of the pension depends on the time spent in the country concerned.

The same applies if you live in one of the following countries with which Germany has concluded a social security agreement: Albania, Australia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Chile, India, Israel, Japan, Canada / Quebec, Korea (South), Kosovo, Morocco , Macedonia, Montenegro, Philippines, Serbia, Turkey, Tunisia, Uruguay, USA.

If you live in the UK, there will be no changes after the UK leaves the EU. The agreements concluded between the EU and the UK continue to allow pensions to be paid from Germany to the UK. UK time periods will continue to be taken into account.

You can submit your pension application to the pension insurance agency in your home country with reference to the insurance periods in Germany. He forwards the application to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung.

But even if your home country is to another state -Third country- , you will not lose any of the entitlements you have acquired by paying your contributions. After fulfilling the waiting period and the other requirements, you may be entitled to a pension. In this case, you should submit the application to the German embassy or consulate, as your details can be certified directly here. From there the application will be forwarded to Germany.

It should be noted, however, that the German regulations on retirement age always apply to a German pension, not those in your home country. You can find out more from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung .

Under certain circumstances, after returning to your home country, you can also apply to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung for reimbursement of your contributionsput. At least 24 calendar months must have elapsed since you left compulsory insurance in Germany, i.e. since you ended your employment with your German employer. However, you should take into account that the pension insurance will only reimburse half of the contributions you have paid (i.e. without the employer’s contribution). The entire insurance relationship is then terminated due to the premium reimbursement. This means that you will no longer be entitled to a pension later. Such a reimbursement of premiums is only possible if you are no longer entitled to voluntary insurance. You can find out more from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung.

Scroll To Top

My Cart


No products in the cart.

Shopping Now