Information on Brexit

1. I am a national or UK national and have lived in Germany for a few years. Do I need a residence permit since January 1, 2021, to continue to work and live in Germany?

If you as a British citizen already lived or were employed in Germany on December 31, 2020, and would like to continue to stay, you must have your stay with the responsible person by June 30, 2021, foreigners Authority to be able to receive the new residence document. Many authorities also make this possible online. You can find out which Authority is responsible for you in the WebGis database. You can also find more information on the Federal Ministry of the Interior website.

2. What applies to UK nationals with multiple nationalities?

If you are also a citizen of an EU country and British citizenship, you can continue to use the Freedom of movement in Germany without a residence permit to live and work. This regulation applies to all non-EU nationals who are citizens of an EU country. However, your multiple citizenships must be known to the registration office. If this is not the case, please make an appointment and prove your citizenship.

Citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland have similar rights as EU citizens in Germany. If you are both British and one of these countries, don’t hesitate to get in touch with your registration office if you have only been registered with your British passport so that they can find out about your citizenship. There are only advantages associated with this. Read more information on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior.

3. I am a UK national or UK national and do not live in Germany. I found a job in Germany. Do I need a visa to enter the country?

If you came to Germany as a British national or British national after January 1, 2021, you will need an appropriate certificate to stay and take up employment in a German residence permit.
However, according to Section 41 (1) Residence Ordinance, entry without a visa is possible. For the required residence permit, you must do so within 90 days of arrival in Germany and before taking up employment with the local foreigners Authority apply (Section 41, Paragraph 3, Sentence 1 of the Residence Ordinance). So you cannot start working immediately after entering the country.

If you would like to take up employment immediately after entering the country, you must apply for an entry visa that allows you to work. Find out more about the requirements for a long-term stay in Germany in the “Visa” section. Then contact the responsible German diplomatic mission abroad for further questions about entering Germany.

4. I come from the UK and want to study in Germany. Do I need a residence permit for entry and residence?

Since January 1, 2021, British nationals new to Germany have to be eligible for a study visit to Germany residence permit. However, entry without a visa is possible. If all requirements are met, the required residence permit immediately after entering the local foreigners’ Authority can be applied in Germany.

Further information on preparing third-country nationals (nationals of a non-EEA country) for a study visit to Germany can be found under the heading “Studies.”

5. I am neither a national nor a national of an EEA State or the United Kingdom, and I am married or partnered to a British citizen. What applies to us if we want to move to Germany as a family?

If you want to move to Germany as a family, you generally need one residence permit. However, visa-free entry is possible for nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, and the United States of America and nationals of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. These nationals must obtain a residence permit from the local within 90 days of entry foreigners Authority apply for. However, you can also apply for a national visa at the responsible German diplomatic mission abroad before entering the country, in particular, to work immediately after entering the country.

6.  I am an employer, and I want to employ UK professionals in my company. What do I currently have to consider?

British nationals who have only established their place of residence in Germany since or after January 1, 2021, and therefore have no special rights concerning a previous stay in Germany under the Withdrawal Agreement are treated like other third-country nationals. You need one to work residence permit the responsible foreigners authority. This does not apply if you have multiple nationalities and are citizens of an EU or EEA country or Switzerland.

You can find further information on the reunification of spouses and children under the heading “Family reunification.” Spouse reunification to become an EU citizen.

Read more information on legal provisions on the employment of skilled workers from third countries in the brochure “Opportunities for skilled workers immigration – What employers need to know.”

Scroll To Top

My Cart


No products in the cart.

Shopping Now